Skip to main content

The Haunting of the Haunted


I started this page thinking about so many details from this day.  It's okay not to write anything down at all.

Electric is off, due to area specific thunderstorms, so working off my cell phone signal and this laptop.  I would like to write out longhand but probably won't.  Guess my son is in the writing mood tonight as well.

I do not always find peace in solitude.  I often feel anxious when I go into solitude.  Sometimes I long to turn down the noise...the fan, the TV, the daily living noise. Do I want to really think about shit?  Do I want to think about how bothered I actually am by trivial stuff---that probably does not matter all that much in even 30 minutes and definitely not in 30 weeks.

I am here now.  The rain is falling, the pebbles of rain fall across the landscape.  The order of things is unchanged.  Mary Oliver's eyes see what my eyes see.  I don't know my place in the order of things.  I do and I don't.  There is something that haunts me.  The Hunted Self was on Dubin's desk this week.

I peruse the conception of the haunted self, and the clinical implications are of course way above my educational background and perhaps intended for an exclusive audience--clinicians.  The haunted humans around me are discover-able.  Maybe as obvious as my own haunted self.

Self-cognition.  It's not easy to understand how that we as finite beings, can know so much and so little at the same time.  Dislodging trauma is not something most achieve while they yet breath and as to the living part during these few short breaths, how many of us are actually living?

I keep mulling it all over in my mind...why is the alcalde of Uvalde...not able to do more?  I  cannot imagine the immense pressures, the temptation to pull back, to shade the truth, to make excuses, to avoid that reality...how could any single human do anything less?

January 6 insurrection and the near coup d'etat...it seems like we must of necessity confront "all our parts" of our fractured selves.  What we have in common even with these fellow american insurrectionists is truly staggering.  We are more similar than dis-similar.   The "minor differences" create nearly a grand-canyon of separation.  Not something we can just skip over, obviously.

How can I BE?  What I am may not need to be adjusted to much, and then I think of the grand-canyon between myself, my parents, most of my extended family, and this does not even account for political differences, religious belief differences??? and then monsters begin to shadow any possible feelings of connection.

The socialite of my community has just "connected" with almost a dozen people.  I can tell she is in her happy place, and the interactions though casual are personal and meaningful.  I wonder what I could learn from her?  It helps to be in one's element, I suppose.  She is loved in her community.  I think she loves her community and life.  I'm an on-looker.  I can imagine that there are challenges.

Some of the best of us, those of us who seem to connect so naturally to our community, are likely lonely people.  Are we so good at human connection because we know what loneliness feels like?  We don't want another human to feel what we feel.  I suppose this is all conjecture.  I don't mean to posit that we must be lonely or that this "us"/ "me" is some special form of "enlightened" or that something is even wrong with us.

Human dignity likely encompasses rightly so, a self-cognition that eliminates the other's knowledge/awareness. Only I know this self-knowledge.  We can perhaps imagine that we "know the other" but I don't think that we really do.  We can try, we can experience a human closeness that feels pretty close to the ideal.  Maybe it's supposed to be an illusive ideal.  Maybe this is the beauty of this fact.

At the end of the measuring stick of human contentedness there must still yet remain some space for the unknown self.  How else would solitude not feel so terrifying?  How else would we have the knowledge to measure our connectedness or disconnectedness?  There may be some distrust, my own issue, coming through here, and I find there are others who honor the limited nature of how things really are.

For some very good reasons, ones that perhaps display a wisdom beyond human limitations, the continuation of the species dictates that there are at least a few of us who are willing to measure our divides, and at least attempt the seemingly impossible---precipice jumping!  Few, maybe none will be able to achieve a connected world, but let's at least build bridges or at least viewing platforms, and take in the views and be inspired to dream of what we want our world to look like...my vision includes freedom to BE.  Yours?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am

A copy of a post to my fellow gay fathers who journey with me. -------------------- Hello all. I'm doing pretty well. My partner is facing a concerning cancer diagnosis, and I keep doing my own internal work. I like to do exercises that spur my internal growth. Here is one that I found challenging and perhaps even helpful after taking some defenses down. I'd put the book down for a good while, and perhaps Blackwolf & Gina Jones' ideas on internal growth are not for all, but I felt a sense of triumph this morning, as I did some re-framing. In-spite of wading through considerable non-sense, I did tap into something that is real for me. (I tend not to read in this specific spiritual pop psychology genre. Far too often, for me, it has side-tracked me from facing reality as it is, and perhaps old mis-guided attempts at self-improvement did have a net benefit of helping me figure some things out. For my own reasons, harder sciences, better researched ideas, satisfy

1-28 of 104 Rational Maxims to Control Anxious Thinking

Dr. Albert Ellis: 104 Rational Maxims to Control My anxiousThinking .  Copied from How To Control Your Anxiety Before It Controls You (pages 190-205) Minimizing my absolutistic   musts, shoulds, aughts, and demands and the irrational beliefs that go with them   1.       I will  watch my unconditional, absolutistic musts and change them into strong preferences, such as "I would very much like to do well and be approved by others, but I don't have to do so and my worth as a person doesn't depend on doing anything!" 2.       I will watch my overgeneralizations and make them more concrete: "If I fail at something important, I won't always fail and may frequently succeed." 3.       I will watch my awfulizing.  "It's bad to lose out on something I really want, but it's not awful or horrible.  There's a good chance I'll get it later, but if I never do, it is just very depriving.  The earth will keep spinning! Life will go

What is prayer? and... is God going green!

I know, I know, but hear me out. I have still, a book in my library (for occasional reference to remember what I came from).  The title is telling:  "The Complete works of E.M. Bounds on Prayer".  How far I have come/fallen from grace depending on the view. The American, gay poet Walt Whiteman defines prayer and "god" for that matter somewhat better:   “Why should I wish to see God better than this day?  I see something of God each hour of the twenty-four, and each moment then,  In the faces of men and women I see God, and in my own face in the glass;  I find letters from God dropped in the street, and every one is signed by God's name,  And I leave them where they are,  for I know that others will punctually come forever and ever.” Then this morning, Katie's "God Poem" really resonates deeply with me.  And Sylvia Plath does a smashing job of depicting life's fig tree.  For context: see https://thursdaypoetry.com/ 2017/04/23/gods-poem/ And if y