Skip to main content

"Silence, listening to silence"



by Lee Denzler





I listen to the silence.
   Majesty of quietness
   Silence listening to silence
   Beingness...the last leaf has fallen.


Eternal SILENCE






Existence.  This is something that just is.  No explanation, reason is needed.  
Its foundations are sure in and of itself.  Self-contained.  
Independent of support, it's a self-supporting structure.  
Nothing gives permission for the being of existence.  
Of it's own it has chosen to be self-defining, self-creating, self-supporting, self-actuating.







Existence has no moral motive.

    Moral motive would be an introduction of something from without, which on the face of all that humans may understand, is something simply not necessary.
     Existence's very essence is it's manifestation of unity.




Tammy Ames







So I am.  
I am existence.  
I am silence listening to some faint echo...I AM SILENCE.











Nothingness is contained in silence, or at least this seems the case to me.
Is action part of silence? Non-action?  Activity of silence?   Is there even the softest of a whisper!


What is this thing that goes on with me that is not so silent?  It's all action?  Is action a part of stillness or does it too have it's own existence?


Out of nothingness arises something. Does nothingness even exist?  Is this a label that we give because we have no other explanation?


Rumi
Gods must arise out the activity of anxious minds. The mind to be still feels too lost.  It must delegate a portion of the psychic to some action surrounding making something of this nothingness. So is the being fractured?  Is there division, is there bicameralism?


Is it proper to be anxious?  Which part of our being is even capable of escaping the silence.  
This running away from silence; from where does this spring? Where is its escape? What is behind the flight?  Are we all lost gods? If I accept that gods arise from the human imagination, then my imagination contains the very essence of the gods arising from my human potentiality.




Now here is a deep silence that bespeaks of a greater cognition.  The irrefutable silence of the planet seems evident from a great enough distance.  Earth is full of activity up close, but from far, there is stillness.




The nothingness of space and non-time extend to the furthest reaches of the known universe.  Earth is not even a speck floating in the sea of timelessness!  Here is a silence greater than silence.  This silence might be the SILENCE that listens to silence.








A denizen of SILENCE.
    Non-identity might best describe him
    --calm. unperturbed, settled, content. silent.


Is the chaos of the cosmos a form of silence?  



Water as it rushes by is a force in motion, whether in a torrent, a trickle, a drip, a vapor
out of it's reach somehow it's motion is very stilling!


   







Driving pounding acid rock . . . is this a form of silence seeking silence?

        

Screaming, slobbering, lunatic pounding a pulpit, revelations of fear--form of silence?
    --too anxious to gain the approval of a seething, opinionated,
frustrated, fractured electorate.  Is this a form of a motion of silence?


   Thunderous exploding bombs, disembodied carnage...majestic wasteland of stillness.
   Mouthed-wail of loneliness, grieving . . . starvation's silence...hopelessness...


SILENCE contains all.   




Supernova in far-off galaxy explodes in a fury great enough to silence all existence near
         ...yet here on planet earth, amid the turmoil, crisis, there is a hallowed SILENCE....


We exist and we exit in silence.
Stillness listening to SILENCE.






*these are not all original thoughts just a cursory search pulls up a wealth of thinking on this subject. I found that the title is from a poem that I read several years ago and reread recently: Its a line from Thomas Hood: "I saw old Autumn in the misty morn / Stand shadowless like Silence, listening/ To silence."

“It is not necessary that you leave the house. Remain at your table and listen. Do not even listen, only wait. Do not even wait, be wholly still and alone. The world will present itself to you for its unmasking, it can do no other, in ecstasy it will writhe at your feet” - Franz Kafka

Sabbadini, Andrea. "Listening to silence." British Journal of Psychotherapy 7.4 (1991): 406-415.


Cartegni, Luca, Shern L Chew, and Adrian R Krainer. "Listening to silence and understanding nonsense: exonic mutations that affect splicing." Nature Reviews Genetics 3.4 (2002): 285-298.


Voisin, Julien et al. "Listening in silence activates auditory areas: a functional magnetic resonance imaging study." The Journal of neuroscience 26.1 (2006): 273-278.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am

A copy of a post to my fellow gay fathers who journey with me. -------------------- Hello all. I'm doing pretty well. My partner is facing a concerning cancer diagnosis, and I keep doing my own internal work. I like to do exercises that spur my internal growth. Here is one that I found challenging and perhaps even helpful after taking some defenses down. I'd put the book down for a good while, and perhaps Blackwolf & Gina Jones' ideas on internal growth are not for all, but I felt a sense of triumph this morning, as I did some re-framing. In-spite of wading through considerable non-sense, I did tap into something that is real for me. (I tend not to read in this specific spiritual pop psychology genre. Far too often, for me, it has side-tracked me from facing reality as it is, and perhaps old mis-guided attempts at self-improvement did have a net benefit of helping me figure some things out. For my own reasons, harder sciences, better researched ideas, satisfy

What is prayer? and... is God going green!

I know, I know, but hear me out. I have still, a book in my library (for occasional reference to remember what I came from).  The title is telling:  "The Complete works of E.M. Bounds on Prayer".  How far I have come/fallen from grace depending on the view. The American, gay poet Walt Whiteman defines prayer and "god" for that matter somewhat better:   “Why should I wish to see God better than this day?  I see something of God each hour of the twenty-four, and each moment then,  In the faces of men and women I see God, and in my own face in the glass;  I find letters from God dropped in the street, and every one is signed by God's name,  And I leave them where they are,  for I know that others will punctually come forever and ever.” Then this morning, Katie's "God Poem" really resonates deeply with me.  And Sylvia Plath does a smashing job of depicting life's fig tree.  For context: see https://thursdaypoetry.com/ 2017/04/23/gods-poem/ And if y

Katherine Stewart's "The Good News Club"

  Put on your to-read list.  I could not believe all the connections between organizations that I'm familiar with!  For me, as interesting as the CEF's Good News Clubs are, most interesting are the connections of the heavy hitter "Christian Nationalists" behind the story of the Good News Clubs and especially the fall out of the US Supreme Court's ruling in Good News Clubs v. Milford Central School (2001).   Page 251- 252, does not mention ACE, but it reads:    "The campaign to remove children from public schools is quickly gathering steam.  A substantial number of fundamentalist parents have already cast their votes silently, by bringing their children home.  Between 1999 and 2007, homeschooling shot up by 74 percent, to over 1.5 million children, representing approximately 3 percent of all school-age children in the United States--a figure that is undoubtedly higher today.  The largest part of that growth came from parents motivated by religious conce